I am thankful that stores are making organic foods more available. Costco, a nationally popular grocery warehouse, is one of the stores trying to make progress in this area. Since I got my membership, I have come to have some favorite staple items that I like to get there, since the price of most organic products in bulk at Costco is reasonable. Often times, organic products at health food stores come in small packages with high prices, but since Costco’s brand, Kirkland, offers a variety of organic foods, prices can be much more competitive. They also sell more popular organic and natural brands, so I can find some of my usual healthy favorites in bulk as well. Also, buying organic foods in bulk whenever possible means less trips to the expensive health food store–and less trips means less impulse buying of things that I don’t really need!
- Kirkland Organic Whole Milk with Omega-3’s — if I were to get DHA milk at the normal grocery store, it would be $4-$5 per gallon. At Costco, it’s about $3.67 per gallon.
- Organic Frozen Veggies — they also have organic frozen corn and green beans, but I like the mixed veggies because it is lots of nutrition packed into one bag!
- Kirkland Organic Strawberry Jam — YUM! So good and simple ingredients.
- Del Monte Organic Canned Tomatoes — Great especially during chili and soup season.
- Kirkland Organic Tortilla Chips — Great value and great taste! This huge bag is under $5 and lasts us through several parties and gatherings.
- Organic Chicken — Really good and juicy…just had some last night on the grill.
- Organic Ground Beef — It’s great to know your meat is safe and healthy…I always have some of this in my freezer.
- Organic Mixed Greens — Another great value! A big box of mixed greens for under $5–definitely competitive pricing compared to what you pay for organic greens at most stores.
- Organic Brown Rice — I always have some in my pantry!
- Wyman’s Frozen Wild Blueberries — Wild and natural blueberries are so good, even frozen! I love them in my cereal and Noah likes them in applesauce (I don’t even have to thaw them before serving since they are small in size).
Costco has other organic items (like bread, peanut butter, cereal, etc.), but these are my favorites. If you have a Costco membership, check out these healthy options next time you go!