I am a Christian and I take no shame in it. However, there are times that I am ashamed in how we Christians act. There are many ways that Christians are to be different than the rest of the world, and I think that how we live healthily is one of them. Here are a few scenarios:
- You go to the gym. You work out–really hard–because you want to lose weight. Or maybe because you want to look sexy. Or maybe because you want to impress the hottie next to you. Or maybe simply because you like striving for a goal and accomplishing it.
- You eat healthy. In fact, you count every calorie (or point) that enters your mouth. Or maybe you are obsessed about eating local…or organic…or paleo…or you are detoxing.
- You watch your weight. And I mean watch every single ounce that is gained or lost. You feel great when your weight is down and ugly when it creeps up.
- You eat. You drink. You are merry…and I mean all the time. Merry to the point where you realize that you don’t know how to say no anymore and it has taken a toll on your body. Merry to the point that your merriment is dependent on what you are eating…and drinking.
- You run. And you want everyone to know about every run that you go on. Running is what defines you.
Five ways to glorify God while living a healthy lifestyle:
- The human body is a beautiful, amazing creation that reflects a beautiful, amazing God. The way it regulates, heals, thrives and responds help us understand on a small scale how complex and brilliant God is.
- Do you ever walk in the produce section of the food store or farmers market and think about how all these foods that God gave us from nature are for our nourishment and enjoyment? It sheds a new light on thanking God for our food.
- It may be easy to feel ugly when you compare yourself to others. God created everyone unique and made no mistakes. When we realized that we are loved and accepted by the God of the universe through Jesus Christ, it puts things into perspective when we aren’t loved and accepted by those around us.
- There are many foods that taste good. I can allow myself to enjoy freely and praise God for his good creation. I can celebrate good things in life because God is good. I can do these things because God is my God and food is not.
- God created the body to respond well to exercise. It gives endorphins and can be fun and makes us healthy. God is the mastermind and we get to enjoy these benefits. Our greatness is not dependent on how well we exercise…true greatness is recognizing that we are nothing and all glory goes to God.